Seedy Nuts A Roastin'
I cooked these three ways for the retreat. I was a bit nutty about my nuts!
The original bake had a little too much cayenne pepper, so we are enjoying those at home ;-)
The second had as per below, less the cayenne to top the quinoa salad (to follow) and the third were had cinnamon but no cumin (in terms of spices - all other ingredients as per list)
1 cup almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pepitas
1 tbs molasses
3 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp himalayan salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine all ingredients except nuts and seeds. (I melted the coconut oil first in the microwave. This could be done on the stove top in a small pot),
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix the nuts and seeds.
4. Pour the liquid over the nuts and seeds and stir until thoroughly covered.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Spread the mixture to ensure even toasting.
7. Set and reset alarm for every 5 minutes until cook.
8. Keep an eye on this mixture as it can go from roasted to burnt very quickly!
9. Take out of the oven and let cool.
10. Keep in air tight container at room temperature.
Serve with oats, salads, roast vegetables and/ or yoghurt.