IN the news….
ONE: Fitness scientists have long established that there are tangible benefits to exercising in a group setting and it’s even better with friends.
Here’s why… (based on an article from HBF Fitness)
1. Accountability – when you have someone counting on you, you are far less likely to bail on a workout. Making plans to meet your friend at 6pm is much more concrete than vaguely planning to exercise alone “some time after work”. Set a date and don’t be late!
FJ says: Better yet, book yourselves in for a Group PT session in the MindBody app – just one more way to make plans accountable and easy.
2. Exercise becomes more fun – a key element in forming a lifestyle habit is fun. It’s always more enjoyable to share an experience with a friend. It also allows you try out other activities. After all, it’s pretty hard to play a game of tennis by yourself.
3. You tend to get more out of the session – you’ll work that bit harder when exercising with a partner. It can bring out a competitive instinct that allows you both to push your limits. You’re more likely to do that extra set or an extra kilometre when you’re being spurred on.
FJ says: And if your preference is to be spurred rather that to spur, rely on the PT team at Fitness Junction to get on both your cases simultaneously. We want each client to achieve their personal best within a grouped, social setting. It takes the pressure off everyone…
4. Safety – this mainly applies to strength training, but having a partner means that you will always have a spotter. This will help you through final reps and they can keep a close eye on your technique.
5. You are more likely to try new things – ever wanted to try yoga, run a half marathon or do a boxing class but felt intimidated going there alone? With a partner your reluctance is minimised because you have someone else by your side. It opens up all sorts of possibilities to new forms of exercise.
FJ says: Coming along to your friend’s training session is a great way to break the ice on a new activity. Both your friend and our friendly PTs will show you the way…
6. Manages costs – booking into a Group PT session at Fitness Junction personal training session makes the activity cheaper for both of you! And, you’ll still get plenty of individual attention from the trainer or coach.
7. Social well-being – social interaction is often listed as an important factor for many people when choosing exercise. Training with a partner gives you that social contact that is often non-existent when going solo.
FJ says: We’ve been learning a lot about the Social Contagion factor and how your social network can be a beneficial influence on your health and wellbeing. While it might sound pretty ikky, we love the concept. Read more about it below.
8. Shared goals – if two of you are working towards a common goal, it helps to build more resolve and resilience. It’s a fantastic feeling to achieve a goal, and it can be even better when you achieve it with someone else.
TWO: For the Science Nerds - Read it: THE SOCIAL CONTAGION